Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Yoga Baby

Ever tried to do yoga with a 14-month-old before? I try to squeeze it in during nap time but rarely manage after tidying up, checking Facebook (colossal waste of time-- might give it up for Lent even though I am not Catholic), getting something prepped for dinner. The other day, I thought to myself, "I will just do yoga this morning when he is awake. It won't be nearly as relaxing but it will be good for him to start practicing with me."

Hehe. My little one is really keen on banging his head on things--- sometimes he does it when he is upset or frustrated. Sometimes he does it because it must feel good (needs a completely separate blog entry).

I put on my favorite yoga DVD, dimmed the lights, turned up the heat and got the water bottle handy. After a few minutes of him trying to bang with all of his might on the keyboard, it seemed he settled in to what was going on and joined me on the mat.

Has anyone tried to relax into a downward dog with a toddler crawling in and out of your arms and legs with his head inches from yours? With the possibility of a headbutt looming, it is not very meditative, to say the least.

I deserve to do yoga during nap time. Dishes, laundry, bills, dinner prep, phone calls can all wait. Right?

Tomorrow, I promise, Sarah.

1 comment:

Ms. Burrell said...

I am laughing thinking of trying to do anything relaxing with a baby... I take a nightly bath with the kids and I am always tensed, waiting for the foot, knee or elbow to jam into my side or my face. When I go under water, I am always anticipating coming back up for a breath of air, to actually be water splashed in my face. relaxation indeed!