Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Unconditional Parenting

I feel like our family is at a real crossroads and doing a pretty good job of navigating it. Stephen did his Montessori teaching certification last year. He has chosen not to teach but I really feel like it has made us such better parents than we would have otherwise been. I think we both naturally want to be very compassionate with Moon and diffuse power struggles but I might have easily succumbed to the "SuperNanny" method of child-rearing. Lots of discipline and "respect" (a very different version of respect than I fancy) but very little compassion. As it is, we have the Montessori philosophy to back us up which has quietly been changing the world for 100 years. I always thought of it as a method of teaching but it is really more of a method of interacting with kids and trusting kids to make the right choices. I am sure I am not articulating myself at all right now. I just get so excited about all this.

A year or so ago, I stumbled upon this guy Alfie Kohn. A few educator friends mentioned him in the same week so I felt compelled to check him out. Moon wasn't even really testing us much at the time and I remember thinking it didn't apply to me yet. I kept reading stuff aloud to Stephen from his book called Unconditional Parenting and Stephen would say, "Yeah, Maria Montessori said that." I found it really exciting in relationship to the work that I do. I have really embraced Appreciative Inquiry in the program I run for high school students and it fits together very nicely.

One of Kohn's philosophies has to do with all those rewards systems people love. At the time, we were just starting toileting and people kept telling us to do the M&M thing or stickers. I remember feeling like that was really weird--that I shouldn't have to bribe her with junk for performing bodily functions she would do when her body was ready. So I didn't do it and it took a really long time but now she uses the toilet as needed. It certainly didn't happen "in a day" like some books tell you. I am sure I am sounding critical of those ideas. It just felt really counter-intuitive to me. So we have avoided all that sticker chart shit and she seems to be turning out to be a pretty nice little person.

I totally get sucked in but I can't stand that damn Supernanny. I know those are tough cases of parents who have let things get out of hand and just really need some skills. I just wish she would encourage more empathy and compassion and less military rule. I get caught up on the class issue of it all but my dear friend Rebecca has shared a great resource with me. There is this amazing woman named Ruth Beaglehole working tirelessly in LA on a movement called "non-violent parenting" . Rebecca attends the Center's trainings as an educator but the classes are all done in English and Spanish and there are folks there whose children have been taken away. There are folks who have been court-ordered to attend these classes and it is working ACROSS social and class lines. People are learning new ways of communicating with their children and family members. People are learning new ways of loving each other unconditionally. (By the way, if you watch the video they have on their website, that is my Rebecca at the end talking about her classroom!)

At any rate, I feel like all these other philosophies fit really well with what our hearts tell us to do as parents. When am feeling worn down but what "everyone else" says we should do, I look over some of these readings or talk with Stephen or other parents who are doing things similarly-- and then I feel sane again.

By no means are we raising a brat but we are very consciously raising a kid who is learning to answer her own questions, to have empathy and compassion for others and to make decisions for HERSELF and not for some stickers. Those of you who know my kiddo are encouraged to give feedback because, as we all know, love is blind. :-)

5 comments:

Bridget said...

Nice one, Sar. I've read Unconditional Parenting, too, and passed it on to a dad friend of ours. It is refreshing to read something that doesn't prescribe a 24 hour solution to what is essentially a person's awakening into who he or she is. Supernanny wrecks my head, too. So does the idea of having to manage stickers, charts and keeping a kid in time out because she hit her brother who is now laughing and trying to lure her out of time out...that stuff SO doesn't work. But I'm still looking for ideas, because from what you've said about Moon, we have two very similar daughters: wonderful, bright, strong, and they don't like their style cramped. Where the #*?!@ did they get that from?

SarahD said...

Queen B... So far you are my only reader. I suppose it still feels a bit diary-ish and I am hesitant to let anyone else in my head. I feel like you have comfortably been there for a few decades so it is OK.

Glad to know we are still on the same page after so many years-- I like that... "awakening into who he or she is".

You know, considering how close in age they are, your kids seem to really get along. It is possible. Thanks for going first on that one... again.

rebecca flynn said...

Jay-sus!! I've had a busy week and have trouble now keeping up with all my cool blogger friends! But this week I am FAMOUS!!! I made it personally on both of yer blog sites!! feels pretty special and makes me miss yas! xoxo

A said...

I checked out the links--great resources. Thanks for sharing. The only Alfie Kohn I've read had to do with school age competition. I'll have to get Unconditional Parenting. Montessori is my core philosophy, too, so just right in how it resonates. I've had to back away from some of my desire to be hard-core, like a floor bed, but overall I feel it enriches me hugely. Alfie, by the way, is supposed to come speak at our ISD sometime this spring--I'll send you the date if you're interested.
By the way, congrats to Stephen on getting Montessori training! I did my Montessori student teaching at The Montessori School in Kalamazoo years ago.

rebecca flynn said...

sad!! don't keep me waiting for another blog, darling!