Friday, March 28, 2008

Why I do what I do

I am exhausted. Exhausted in that wonderful way: the stay-up-too-late-giggling kind of way, the I-have-not exercised-in-forever-but-all-that-hiking-feels-great kind of way, the I-am-so-tired-from-crying-and-it-fells-good kind of way. Last week, I took a whole of kids into the woods for a week of magic. I do these multi-day programs a few times a year but this one was really amazing and powerful for me. I had a stellar staff-- some folks who have been with me for years and some wonderful new additions.


In the end, the kids got it. They got why all the "playing" and teasing they do hurts folks. They got why it is important to think twice before judging others. They got that they have the power to change things-- that they are NOT helpless and they can steer the train. It was an amazing group of kids-- each with his or her own set of issues. By no means did we have a group of perfect kids. We had kids with drama and tough lives. Now we have kids with hope and skills and the courage to speak their mind.
So... after 6 days away from my family eating too many double-stuff oreos and staying up every night until 3am and coming home more sick than I left and having a suitcase of clothes STILL sitting on the bedroom floor and working my ASS off and asking myself OFTEN why I keep doing this, here is why I do what i do:













Corny, I know. But I am honestly making the world better for her the best way I know how. Oh yeah, and I am really f-in good at what I do :-)

1 comment:

Bridget said...

Well done on a successful week! I'm so glad you're out there doing this important work.

From Siofra: Luna, I want to visit you and then bring you a present! When we visit I'll give you a BIG hug because you're cool.