Sunday, February 22, 2009

FUCKS!

Here I sit drinking wine and eating leftover popcorn and wondering if I am allowed to put that as the title to this post.

Luna has taken to yelling this expletive over and over. Our usual reaction to cuss words is to ignore them and she doesn't usually make a big deal out of them. Let's just say that I cuss. A lot. Sometimes I cuss around my kid. The Mister does NOT.

So, in the past when she has let "Shit!" fly or something of the like, we have asked her if she is upset and redirected by talking about that. It feels like in her mind, there is not difference between expletives like "Shucks!" and "Dammit!" or "Jankers!" and "Jesus Christ!" (which IS a cuss word in the home in which I grew up-- in fact, there are three things you better not ever say in front of my mom, a cusser herself, and they are JESUS CHRIST, FUCK AND SHUT UP, in that order).

Every once in a while, Luna gets ahold of a phrase and says it slightly incorrectly-- i.e. "Fucks!" and it is just too damn cute. I end up giggling and then the word sticks around a little longer. When she said it today-- 3 or 4 times in a row, Stephen asked her what she said. He asked her if she said "Books"? "No. Fucks!" Stephen asked her what that word meant and she said, "I dunno. It is just something you say when you are mad."

Damn mothafuckin' straight it is... shit.

2 comments:

ma zawi said...

ha!

Ms. Burrell said...

funny you should mention this...
last night we were watching "fly away home" @ my mom's and CGB yells out: "what the fuck is going on?!" but all happy like. it was obvious she was trying the word on for size. i don't swear around my babies and try not to around adults but my baby daddy is a different matter, so i know exactly where she heard it. while i don't like this, i do appreciate being part of her experimenting and watching her go through these learning phases. maybe us parents are just being limbered up for the drugs/sex talks??