Monday, July 28, 2008

Oh my Gawd! 32G!

I realize that I am an incredibly sporadic blogger-- when it comes to frequency as well as topic choice.

I have devoted absolutely no space to a pretty big deal in my life these days. NO... not a boob job. I am pregnant-- 21 weeks along to be exact.

I am feeling really good considering last time around I was able to take naps whenever I wanted and received MUCH more pampering from dear husband. Well, this time around life keeps me... more tired. I do feel great, though. Some of the same issues as last time but now I know lots more about my body and how to manage things.

Except for one thing. My boobs are HUGE and I am only halfway along. Let's not even talk about nursing!

One thing that I did for myself once I was pretty much done nursing (down to "two a days") was that my friend (my well-endowed and long-time nursing co-worker) and I played hooky from work one day and went to visit the famous Margaret at Marshall Field's/Macy's/Hudson's. She is an older (75?) German lady who is NOT afraid to feel you up. I had gone through my life in ill-fitting bras and have decided that 90% of women must do the same.

I had been measured a ton of times--- Victoria Secret, Hudson's, bra shops in outlet malls-- you name it. People always said different things so I would go back to what I thought worked--- 36D. Then I had a kid and everything changed so I asked Margaret to remeasure me. Well, one thing I know for sure is that after having a kid, no one goes from a 36 to 32. Physiologically, it just can't happen. Maybe your rib cage can get bigger but not smaller.

Anyway, she spent over 2 hours with both of us and we came away calling that Tuesday, "the day that changed our lives". I found out that I was a 32D and that very few companies even make that size and that even fewer stores carry it.

So, I have spent the last 18 months in really ugly beige bras that FIT! They don't ride up in back. They actually "lift and separate". They cost a lot of money as I can no longer get deals at Kohl's. I am relegated to the "never-on-sale" Wacoal brand at Macy's. Every few months, I drop $60 on ONE bra and wear it to death. Bras have moved from "Sarah's fanciful spending money account" to the "family necessity account" like eye glasses and dental cleanings.

Well, a few months ago, when I first found out I was pregnant (because of my huge chest I woke up with one day that ached like nothing else could), I lucked out at Marshall's (actually afore-mentioned friend called to tip me off) and hit the jackpot! They had a ton of Wacoal's bras on sale for $20-25. I stocked up on four 32DD as the girls were growing each day.

After several painful weeks of ripping off the bra as soon as possible at the end of each day, I finally went shopping for some new bras. I know the leap from 32DD to 32G may not sound that huge to some but it puts me in the "circus freak" category in my mind. This term came to mind a few weeks ago in that Bali/Hanes store in the outlet mall. It is an entire bra store with nothing but ugly grandma bras. I was sure to find what I needed. After trying on several 32DD that didn't even contain my flesh, I stormed out cussing and in near tears with the term "circus freak" imprinted in my mind. That particular day, I was with my mom and suddenly remembered the same horrible scene from my teen years happening over and over again.

I HATED bra and swimsuit shopping for so long and then, thanks to Margaret, had this brief little window of comfort when I could walk into a store and pick out a bra and have it fit and buy it. Thank you Margaret from the Macy's at Crossroads Mall! (I have already done one of those Customer Reply things that says how awesome she is but I might need to do another.)

She was there the other night as I purchased my 32G. She played chase with my 3-year-old in the racks like a little kid and I went home smelling the comforting scent of old-lady perfume on my shirt from Margaret's hugs.

1 comment:

A said...

I can totally relate. I, too, went up to an F, much to the amusement of my DD mother (although, she probably was never measured correctly and was really much bigger than that!). Maybe I'll have to visit Margaret someday, because a bra hasn't fit well since I was pregnant...