Thursday, January 21, 2010

"What do you wish for?"

Last night as I was lying in bed with Luna, I asked her about what she wanted for herself when she was older. Without missing a beat, she said, "A horse." As I was asking follow-up questions about what this horse would look like and where she would live, she asked me, "Mama, what do you wish for?" I thought it was interesting how she changed the question.

I have always been a big one for wishes. I believe there is a great deal of power in wishes. I believe that you are never given the power to wish for something unless you also hold the power to make that wish come true. Straight up. I also have always gotten all my wishes-- the really big ones anyway. I married My One True Love. I have these two amazing kids. I really like the work I do. I take this wish stuff seriously. In fact, I went through a big change a few years ago where I really looked at my language and try to only have things come out of my mouth I want to put out into the Universe. On the small scale, this is asking Tommy to DO what I want him to do rather than telling him all about what he CAN'T do. I have consciously tried to eliminate the word DON'T from my vocabulary.

So... lying there in bed with my 5-year-old... I couldn't think of anything I wished for. I was very happy to be able to tell her that I have everything I wanted--- a loving husband and Papa to my children, two beautiful and healthy children, a warm house I love and hope to stay in forever and ever. I was all blissed out and dreamy in the dark next to her.

She wouldn't let me off the hook, though. I did think about a few monetary things-- loans paid off, a new car, etc., but nothing seemed good enough to merit saying out loud. Then I thought of one.

I said, "I wish that we always have the time and money to take a nice vacation together every summer-- just the four of us, to reconnect and see new things together." This satisfied her and lying there I realized I really meant it. I know we have the power to make that one happen.

No comments: